Another syrup very used on tiki drinks is the Vanilla Syrup.
This is a very easy syrup to make at home, you only need sugar, water and vanilla beans, and, of course, the homemade version is always better than the commercial.
In this syrup, I prefer to use white sugar and let the syrup take the golden color of the vanilla.
- 200g Sugar
- 250 ml Water
- 2 Vanilla Beans
- Make a cut in the vanilla beans longwise and put it on a saucepan with the sugar and the water.
- Bring to a boil with medium heat, stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar.
- When it starts boiling, low the heat and cover the saucepan. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and let sit and cool for at least 2 hours.
- Then strain with coffee filters (or cheesecloth) and bottle it.
- It should be stored on the fridge. It'll last for about a month.
This post is also available in: Spanish