That’s the first year that they accept bartenders from out of the US…and I think that I’m the only one non american bartender on it!
Today, I received bad news by mail from the event organization: my cocktail is not selected, I’m not between the three bartenders chosen and I couldn’t travel to the final. And I finally decided to share my recipe with the whole world to enjoy it at home (if you have all the ingredients!!!).
When I was thinking on it, the first thing was what kind of recipe I want to do for the contest. I decided to make a big, strong, very complex drink with a lot of layers of flavours and a lot of rum. A drink that can kick the ass of one strong drinker!!!
I was thinking about make a pirate atmosphere for my drink when I started to sing my own version of the song of the Dead Man’s Chest:
“Fifteen men on the Bald Man’s Chest…
…YO-HO-HO, and a bottle of rum!
Drink and the devil had done for the rest…
…YO-HO-HO, and a bottle of rum!”
And…I can’t explain more with words…you have to take a look at the pics!!!
- 1oz Plantation 3 Stars
- 1oz Plantation Grand Reserve Barbados
- ¾oz Smith & Cross
- ½oz Pedro Ximenez (I use Lustau Pedro Ximenez San Emilio)
- ¾oz Lost Spirits Navy Style Rum 68% (float)
- 1oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 2oz Fresh Orange Juice
- 1oz Fresh Grapefruit Juice
- ¼oz BG Reynolds Passion Fruit Tropical Syrup
- ¾oz BG Reynolds Cinnamon Tropical Syrup
- ¼oz Homemade Pimento Dram
- ¼oz Angostura Bitters
- Put everything in a blender (except the Lost Spirits Navy Style Rum).
- Add 1 cup of crushed ice.
- Blend at high speed for 5 seconds.
- Pour unstrained in a snifter (of about 20oz of capacity).
- Add more crushed ice to fill (if it’s necessary).
- Float Lost Spirits Navy Style Rum.
- Garnish with a slice of Dragon Fruit, a beautiful orchid, a mint sprig and a bamboo straw.
If you want, you could take a look at all the pictures submitted by the contenders at the Instagram hashtag #irontikitender and judge by yourself what’s your favorite!
Good luck for the contenders on the final and I hope that you all could taste and enjoy my crazy tiki drink!
P.S.: Maybe I’m not made of iron, but I’m very proud to know that the tiki is very strong on me!!!
This post is also available in: Spanish