That’s the first year that they accept bartenders from out of the US…and I think that I’m the only one non american bartender on it!
Today, I received bad news by mail from the event organization: my cocktail is not selected, I’m not between the three bartenders chosen and I couldn’t travel to the final. And I finally decided to share my recipe with the whole world to enjoy it at home (if you have all the ingredients!!!).
When I was thinking on it, the first thing was what kind of recipe I want to do for the contest. I decided to make a big, strong, very complex drink with a lot of layers of flavours and a lot of rum. A drink that can kick the ass of one strong drinker!!!
I was thinking about make a pirate atmosphere for my drink when I started to sing my own version of the song of the Dead Man’s Chest:
“Fifteen men on the Bald Man’s Chest…
…YO-HO-HO, and a bottle of rum!
Drink and the devil had done for the rest…
…YO-HO-HO, and a bottle of rum!”
And…I can’t explain more with words…you have to take a look at the pics!!!
- 1oz Plantation 3 Stars
- 1oz Plantation Grand Reserve Barbados
- ¾oz Smith & Cross
- ½oz Pedro Ximenez (I use Lustau Pedro Ximenez San Emilio)
- ¾oz Lost Spirits Navy Style Rum 68% (float)
- 1oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 2oz Fresh Orange Juice
- 1oz Fresh Grapefruit Juice
- ¼oz BG Reynolds Passion Fruit Tropical Syrup
- ¾oz BG Reynolds Cinnamon Tropical Syrup
- ¼oz Homemade Pimento Dram
- ¼oz Angostura Bitters
- Put everything in a blender (except the Lost Spirits Navy Style Rum).
- Add 1 cup of crushed ice.
- Blend at high speed for 5 seconds.
- Pour unstrained in a snifter (of about 20oz of capacity).
- Add more crushed ice to fill (if it’s necessary).
- Float Lost Spirits Navy Style Rum.
- Garnish with a slice of Dragon Fruit, a beautiful orchid, a mint sprig and a bamboo straw.
If you want, you could take a look at all the pictures submitted by the contenders at the Instagram hashtag #irontikitender and judge by yourself what’s your favorite!
Good luck for the contenders on the final and I hope that you all could taste and enjoy my crazy tiki drink!
P.S.: Maybe I’m not made of iron, but I’m very proud to know that the tiki is very strong on me!!!
Do you want another rum?
This post is also available in: Spanish