Aloha!!!I’m still in the process of the certification programme of ACR (Authentic Caribbean Rum). I have taken part in the training sessions, and I have my diploma, now I prepared a cocktail and answered some questions to try to access to the second phase of the certification: the ultimate training session delivered in the Caribbean (as they announced, in Guyana, Barbados and Trinidad).
And now I’m going to present my cocktail…I have a lot of rums to choose and I want to make something tiki, but with a touch of classic and also a touch of craft cocktails.
I thought in a 1934 Zombie, but also in an Old Fashioned and in something smoked…I started working on how to reduce a 1934 Zombie into an Old Fashioned format…and when I have it…I started to try to make a smoke of one of the ingredients: Falernum. All served in a skull glass bottle used as a decanter full of Falernum smoke to drink in a Double Old Fashioned Glass with a twist of Lime with an ice ball, also smoked. The only problem was that ACR didn’t have overproof rum in his range, but I loved to use 3 great rums from Guyana, Barbados and Trinidad: El Dorado 15, Doorly’s XO and Angostura 1824.
And the result was this:
- ¾ oz Doorly's XO Rum
- ¾oz El Dorado 15 Rum
- ¾oz Angostura 1824 Rum
- 3 drops Pernod
- ¼ oz Cinnamon Syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 1 dash grapefruit bitters
- Falernum Smoke*
- Add all the ingredients (except the Falernum smoke) in a mixing glass filled with ice cubes and stir.
- Strain the drink inside a skull glass bottle with the help of a funnel.
- Fill the skull glass bottle of Falernum smoke with the smoking gun full of oak chips, ground cloves, grated ginger and grated lime peel. Then close the bottle.
- Put a lime twist and an ice ball inside a chilled double old fashioned glass.
- Serve the skull bottle and the glass in a tray and add some Falernum smoke in the chilled double old fashioned glass too.
- Each one has to serve the cocktail himself and enjoy it!!!
Do you like it?
If you liked my cocktail please vote it here . I need your help and you only have to click on the link and register in the web, it’s only 2 minutes and you could help me to improve my rum knowledge to make a better work in that blog…if I could go to the training sessions in the caribbean I promise that I will blog the full trip!!!!
Mahalo for all!!!
This post is also available in: Spanish